Thursday, March 7, 2013

Destroyed Our Lives


October 17, 2012


It was approximately February, 2006 when we went to the offices of Point Center Financial. We had an appointment with one of the staff, Kate Hurley, to discuss a potential investment. While she was showing us around we ran into Dan Harkey in the hallway. We were not introduced.  Afterwards, Kate told us that he had never lost money for any of his clients because even if the investment lost money, he made up the difference out of his own pocket. And I believe she was told to say that because we think she was a very honest person.

Our investments include The Preserve ($50,000 by my husband and $50,000 by myself), Georgetown ($50,000 by my husband) and Palm Springs ($50,000 by my husband $50,000 by myself). Later Gwen Melanson called to ask me to invest another $50,000 in The Preserve, telling me it was a good return on my money and should close in another month. The total is $300,000.

We only met Dan Harkey once at a bar-b-que his company gave for the investors. He seemed very pleasant.

An email was sent to each investor from Lloyd Charton saying that the properties were worthless.

We’ve been informed since investing that the value of the Preserve has gone down from the $38 million to $16 million; Georgetown was supposed to be worth $16 million and we may get $2-3 million for it. Palm Springs was a loan of $19 million and we may not getting anything back, unfortunately, the way it’s going.

After Lloyd Charton’s email exposure to the value of the property Dan Harkey called me about the investment at Georgetown that he had overpaid for it and also that someone was following him in his car whenever he left his office to his home. Why he called me, I don’t know. I’ve only met him once.

To my knowledge he took tremendous fees and commissions on the sale of the property and that’s where he made his money.

At my age the investments never should have been sold to me. I’m now 83 years old and have Parkinson’s Disease. I feel I was taken full advantage of. This investment has completely destroyed our lives.

   
Updated on April 1, 2013. Their identities were withheld at their request.

No comments:

Post a Comment